Sunday, June 15, 2014

Mt. Baker the Corn Maker.....


I would be lying if I said I was thinking about shredding some corn in late May this year. The low snow pack and the great biking conditions weren't really inspiring me to get the board out anymore this season. Jason from G3 asked me if I would test a new shape on the Black Sheep Carbon X3 so I was in. Sometimes all you need is a little motivation. The classic spring rip in the lower mainland is Mt. Baker. No other mountain near Vancouver offers a descent from nearly 11000ft. So the last day of May Brett joined me for a quick lap down south.                


We arrived at the trailhead at 4:30am and decided on the Grouse Creek route to the Coleman Glacier.    


We only had 15 minutes of bushwhacking and slapped boards on. The conditions were still on the firm side as the sun came up so boot-packing was the efficient way to go in some spots.      


After about 1.5 hours the summit showed herself.



Shiny conditions....  








We arrived on the summit at about noon and Brett took a nap.  


Shuksan....



Steaming crater vent....  



A spectacular summit day with no wind!








Thanks for the inspiration and the sweet board G3!

No comments: